Development Management Consulting
Let us provide an analysis and detailed report of the health of your current Development team and processes.
Specifically we would look at:
- Individual team members – training and motivational gaps
- Current state of Development methodologies and processes ion both ‘front-end’ and ‘back-end’ development – eg Test Driven Development and use of Test Frameworks, Continuous Integration, Build and delivery automation and testing, Code reviews and Code Quality metrics and reporting
- Team leadership training and coaching. Its not a given that a good developer makes a good leader, and often the result can be a bad leader, the loss of a good developer and disharmony within the team. New (and existing) team leads need coaching and guidance to help them produce great results, the benefits of which are felt throughout the team and ultimately the organisation.
- Design and Architecture. This is often overlooked in the rush to ‘go agile’, but it is vitally important that some focus remains on the ‘bigger picture’ and a longer term objective than maybe the current feature set is concerned with. For example, does the current solution add dependencies of software / hardware / resources that may cause problems or restrictions further down the line? Have you already built this feature or something like it in another team or project? Is there an existing OTS application that would perhaps do the job better? These are common ‘solution architecture’ questions that are not always considered in the rush to implement.
- Project / Delivery Management. Can the current processes be improved to help smooth the delivery path? Does the PM help and support the Dev team or just drive hard deadlines? Is there adequate communication from the Development team back up to the PM? Is the PM interfering in the scrum process? There is definitely a need for good Project Management in an agile setting, but the nature of the role needs to adapt – and both sides need to be brought back together to form a seamless agile project team.
Following the report and briefing, we can work with you to improve and optimize your processes and to guide and coach your team members. Alternatively we can recommend a best approach and a follow up later with a health check consult.
Another option is to provide an on site interim management solution to guide and manage your team for a fixed short term basis.
Contact us for details.